Monday, May 31, 2010

A busted ankle means less time on my feet and more on my hands...

Our bimonthly game of kickball was a blast, though my ankle begs to differ. But this does leave me some time to do a little more digging.

If I haven't already explained, the purpose of this blog is for me to document my trials, tribulations, and overall expansion of knowledge regarding one of my favorite past times: baking.

While the amount of baking I've done over the past few years has steadily increased, I realized I have no idea why I do the things I do. Why is it better to use room-temperature eggs? Why does too much batter mixing cause cake to come out on the dense side? What's the difference between light and dark brown sugar? The list goes on and on.

This brings me to my first research project, which will be done whilst elevating my foot: Which books will help me learn the ins and outs of baking and better understand the science behind it all?

Lucky for me, my mom helped me along by picking up a copy of Ready for Dessert by David Lebovitz to start my collection. Mr. Lebovitz is a pastry chef originally from the San Francisco Bay area who has received a number of accolades and written tons of books.

Here's the man himself:



Some other books I have been looking at on Amazon include:
- Baking & Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft by the Culinary Institute of America (which is where I'm taking a baking class later this year)

- The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry by Bo Friberg, a master pastry chef and confectioner

- How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science by Paula I. Figoni, a professor of baking science and other classes at Johnson & Wales University

and

- Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner by Peter P. Greweling, a professor at the CIA


These books seem like they will help round out my knowledge of baking and - hopefully - help me learn enough about how everything works for me to start concocting more of my own recipes.

Icing: Snake River Conspiracy - Strangled

No comments:

Post a Comment