Monday, May 31, 2010

What's up doc?

So, my ankle is finally feeling better. Perhaps it was just a mild sprain? Either way, I'm happy I'm no longer hobbling around like an angry hobbit.

Though I'm working on expanding my knowledge of baking to start creating my own confections, I have dabbled a bit with experimentation.

The first successful experimentation occurred with my boyfriend's birthday cake. He had requested a carrot cake, which I had never made before so, naturally, I was intrigued. I started by looking up several recipes online to see what they entailed and after finding 2 that I thought might work well, I started to modify.

Recipe #1: Carrot Cake with Maple-Cream Cheese Icing
Recipe #2:
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese-Lemon Zest Frosting

I used Recipe #1 as my base recipe but cut about 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 egg from the recipe. Then I added the nutmeg and vanilla from Recipe #2.

I didn't use either recipe's frosting recipe. Actually, I tried to make the icing from this recipe but hated it. So, I went back to an old standby icing recipe used for a friend's birthday cupcakes a few months ago.

And so my own little monster was created (thanks, Dr. Frankenstein for the inspiration).




I forgot to mention it was a Dinosaur/Mexican themed birthday party. So, I used green food coloring to make the icing green and baked star shaped sugar cookies (with orange icing from store-bought tubes) to create the spikes for the stegosaurus cake.

ROWR!

Icing: Siouxsie and the Banshees - 92 Degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment